Tuesday, December 13, 2011

"God did a good job today"



Each of us has things in our lives that we know we have to do, but hate.  For some of us there are good reasons, and for others they are just not things any of  us like.  Going to the dentist is one of those things for me.  My struggle with this aspect of self care is of no relevance here.  What does cause me to pause is my experience yesterday.  


Meeting with my dentist was not something that I was in anyway looking forward to.  I am in the process of making some serious decisions about work that needs to be done. This will affect me physically and financially.  Avoidance is no longer an option.  So I entered this office with fear and trepidation.  


This man is a person of tremendous faith and sees his work as a ministry.  He couldn't wait to tell me about his experience with his son this past weekend.  My prayers have been and continue to be, that God will help me with my fear and give me courage where I feel none.  God reveals Gods self when we least expect it, or maybe when we are watching and listening.  The first thing I heard as we began our meeting was this story. 


This father and son were skiing at Bretton Woods ski area.  As they rode up the chair lift they could see the mountain range as it surrounded them.  Their turn came to ski off the lift and prepare to ski down the mountain.  The first big run of the year.  The 5 year old looks up at his father and says, "God did a great job today!"  As dad recounts the story, he stops and took a deep breath, paused and said, "Yes, he did!"  Given the fact that it is 2011, he took out his iphone and asked his son to pose so that he could remember this moment.  


God revels Gods self in places and in ways we cannot imagine.  It is our job to pay attention.  To stop and pause, to take a deep breath and say Yes, Thanks be to God.  The rest of the appointment went fine and God will, as God always does walk with me through this.  


The song, Mary, sung by Patty Griffin reminds us of Mary is such beautiful ways.  We are also reminded of Jesus as child, as son, as the Divine that sacrificed all for us.  As this time in Advent we are called to remember Mary and her sacrifice for us.  She to was the parent of a young child, a child that reminded her and continues to remind all of us that God is with us and that it is in fact, all very good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment