Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Passion Week

"The mysteries of the liturgical cycle not only bring new out pourings of the salvific waters of grace: they also enlighten our minds with insights into the ways of God, ever ancient and ever new.  They teach us more of Christ, they show us more of the meaning of our life in Him, they make us grow in Him.  Indeed, the liturgy is the great school of Christian living and the transforming force which reshapes our souls and our characters in the likeness of Christ."  
    Thomas Merton,
Seasons of Celebration

Liturgy is one of those things that I knew spoke to me long  before I had any language or concepts as to why.  I came back to church as a grown woman, seeking a larger community of faith and a specifically christian one. 

God has always been a very strong presence in my life.  As children I believe that we experience the divine as normal.  We know that it is a part of the way we make meaning of the world around us.  It is not confined to a specific denomination or set of doctrines, it is a pure source of love and life.  The young ask more questions about "Why".  They are less apt. to say "no", that's not possible, or" no" that is to scary, or "no", that's just not "right".  For many children in the world today they are struggling with abuse, starvation, lack of education and so much more.  Yet, there are so many stories of grace filled moments where these very souls are able to rise from the ashes of this horror and teach us the real stories of strength, courage and grace.  They tell us the real stories of resurrection.

Liturgy provides us with a framework to reflect on the life of Jesus and the how that intersects with our own.  It provides us with a template for  a life of faith. 

Years ago when I was lost and floundering, I looked to many things outside myself to give me solace and peace.  I wanted to feel worthy and have some sense of direction.  Regardless of those around me that loved me, I was unable to come to that place of knowing, unable to take a deep breath, until I stopped and turned to God and asked for help.  I was unable to hear the words of wise and loving people until I was able to open my heart and ears to God.  Holy Week reminds me of that place each year.  

Jesus walked a lonely path.  He walked a journey that without his relationship with God and his faith in that God, would have been so hollow.   This week we are called to walk that lonely journey with Jesus,  But we are also called to remember those times in our lives when we felt lost and alone, when we wernn't sure if this really was the right thing.  We are called to follow Jesus footsteps to the cross and listen.  Listen, what is God wanting so much to tell you?  

It is also important to say that there may be those of you our there that are there at this very minute.  Know that Jesus is carrying this cross for you too.  Know that this journey is done over and over again, so that you too can come to know the power and love of this all knowing God.  Know that you are not alone.  Walk the journey and listen...


For centuries and over many different traditions storytelling has been a way that people enter into their lives and come to know themselves better.  It is often through others that we can best know who we are.  Live the life of Jesus this week.  Listen to the story as though it was your first time.  Listen..  What is God telling you?  


Today I give thanks for that young girl and her childlike faith.  I give thanks for a God that is every present and all loving.  Today I give thanks for the story that continues to change who I am and how I serve.  Today I give thanks for the faith that has sustained me even in my darkest hours and even when I could not feel it.  I give thanks.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment