Saturday, February 27, 2010

Imagaine the last time you truly listened.

Yesterday I had the chance to visit with one of my dearest friends. I am not sure there is anything more important in our lives than people who truly know us, people who have seen us as we grow and change. These same people could tell you of your flaws, those places that we each know about ourselves, but only a select few, know us well enough to have seem them too.

As we travel the path of life we look around and see signposts. We see places that remind us that we have traveled this road. Those very places also remind us where we have been. It is at times like yesterday, when I look in the eyes of this loved one that I am reminded how deeply God loves me and how very patient and kind God is. It is also at these times that I am reminded that it is only through the lives of others that we are allowed to grow and change.

During this visit the ocean was one of the places that I needed to spend time. The weather has been challenging and devastating to many in recent months. The ocean is a place that when I spend time there, each season or event, I am reminded yet again, of the power and grace in nature. The waves were huge, the spray was high. I was able to close my eyes, I could listen, I could hear the pull and push of the vast amounts of water as it moved in and out.

How often do we allow ourselves to experience something with our different senses? After not being near the ocean for awhile, I had forgotten the wonderful smell of ocean air. The brisk wind, and spray that surrounded us. It was a feast for the eyes, the ears, and the nose. The salt air was palpable.

Who are the people in your life that know you? Where are the eyes that look back at you with love and tenderness? Where do you look with that in return? For some these are very hard questions. But let yourself really spend time, let yourself be with the love and care of God.
Where are places in your life that you visit and remind you of where you've been, remind you of places in your heart and soul that bring you comfort, solace or peace?

Today I am blessed to have spent time yesterday with someone who knows me, really "sees" me. Today I am grateful that God allows me to know that.

Today I give thanks for the signposts in my life. For those that are comfortable, and those that aren't. Today I give thanks to the people that have traveled this path with me, for those that have carried me when I needed, and those that have allowed me to carry them. Today I give thanks.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment