Monday, February 23, 2015

Companion me along the way.


Lent 1 was yesterday.  In the lectionary texts for the day we read Psalm 25.  As is often the case for me, I like to reflect on the psalms using different words.  The following is from Psalms for Praying, by Nan C. Merrill.

Psalm 25

To You, O Love, I lift up my soul;
O Heart within my heart,
in You I place my trust. 
Let me not feel unworthy;
let not fear rule over me. 
Yes! let all who open their hearts
savor You and bless the earth!

Compel me to know your ways, O Love;
instruct me upon your paths.
Lead me in your truth,
and teach me,
for through You will I know
wholeness;
I shall reflect your light
both day and night. 

I know of your mercy, Compassionate One,
and of your steadfast love. 
You have been with me
from the beginning. 
Forgive the many times I have 
walked away from You 
choosing to walk alone. 
With your steadfast love, 
once again, 
Companion me along your way. 

You are gracious and just,
O Spirit of Truth, 
happy to guide those who 
miss their way;
You enjoy teaching all who are open, 
all who choose to live in truth. 
Your paths are loving and sure, 
O Holy One, 
for those who give witness to You
through their lives. 

For the honor of you Name, 
O Beloved,
forgive my separation from You. 
I bow down before You;
instruct me, that I might choose
the way of love and truth. 
I would live in your abundance,
and my children as well. 
Your friendship is offered to all
whose hearts are open; 
You will make known your promises 
to them. 
My eyes are ever on You, Beloved, 
keep my feet from stumbling 
along the way. 

Turn to me, O Holy One, and envelop me
with your love, for
I am lonely and oppressed. 
Relieve the blocks in my heart 
that keep me separated from You. 
See all the darkness within me; 
fill it with your healing light. 
Look at my pain and all my fears; 
they shut out love and life. 

Protect me and free me; 
let me not live as unworthy,
for I would make my home in You. 
May integrity and wholeness fill me
as I dwell with You, 
O Loving Presence.

O Beloved, as you renew me, 
redeem the nations, 
that we on earth may unfold
your Plan.   





No comments:

Post a Comment